- An efficient and reliable information service with advice and support in relation to professional matters.
- Representations at local level in relation to discipline, rosters, transfers and welfare etc.
- Representation at National level up to and including the Government on every issue affecting the pay, pensions, welfare and working conditions of our members.
- Representation on St Paul’s Garda Medical Aid Society and on the Garda Benevolent Trust Fund Ltd.
- Review Body – the GRA is represented by a member of the CEC on the Review Body which considers appeals against transfers.
- Appeals Board – the GRA is also represented by a member of the CEC on the Appeals Board established under the Garda Discipline Regulations.
- Legal Assistance Scheme – legal advice. The Association now offers a choice of ten firms of Solicitors. The Association will continue to finance appropriate cases for legal assistance in accordance with the terms of the Scheme.
- GRA Travel Plan – Annual Multi-Trip Travel Insurance
- Participation in specially negotiated Group Protection Schemes:
- Garda Siochana Members Life Assurance Scheme; (Note: Trainee Gardaí get free cover of €30,000 for first 32 weeks increasing to €60,000 for next 32 weeks)
- Spouse/Partner Life Assurance Scheme;
- Children’s Life Assurance Scheme;
- specified illness Scheme; (Note: Trainee Gardaí get free cover of €42,500 for first 64 weeks)
- Salary Protection Scheme;
- Additional Voluntary Contributions (AVC) Scheme
- Household Insurance Scheme
- Travel Insurance Scheme
- Income Protection
Important Note: you must be a member of the Association or equivalent Association for other ranks to avail of the above schemes
- Trainee Gardai – Life Assurance as a benefit of €30,000 for the first 32 weeks of training, increasing to €60,000 for the next 32 weeks at no cost to the member
- Trainee Gardai – specified illness cover for a benefit of €42,500 for the first 64 weeks at no cost to the member
- GRA Illness/Injury Scheme – €75.00 per week for a 13 week period after an excess period of five weeks in respect of absences through illness and in respect of injury only where there is no 3rd party involved. This scheme is funded from Association’s funds.
- Copies of the Association’s Information Bulletins.
Pay Codes: GRA Life A: 7115 (€5.15) / GRA Life B: 6151 (€2.20)
The Scheme covers serving and retired members of the force of all ranks.
You can only join the Scheme if you are a GRA member and are joining during your training period ( first 64 weeks). If a member leaves the Scheme s/he will not be able to rejoin the Scheme.
Members must be a member of the Association equivalent to their rank to be able to claim under the Scheme. The contract was renewed with Irish Life for a 5 year period from 1st January 2019.
|Age at date of Death||Level of Death Benefit|
|20 – 39||€350,000|
|40 – 49||€260,000|
|50 – 59||€250,000|
|60 – 64||€100,000|
|Age at date of Death||Level of Death Benefit|
|40 – 49||€225,000|
|50 – 54||€175,000|
|55 – 59||€150,000|
|60 – 64||€100,000|
|65 – 70||€45,000|
* If you reached age 65 before 1st January 2019, you will continue with the current benefit of €10,000 and the premium will remain at €2.00 per month. Age at death is 65-69 inclusive.
Spouses & Partners Cover
€115,000 will be paid to a serving GRA member on the death of their spouse or partner.
A spouse/partner means the Spouse or Civil Partner of a member, or a person who has been living in a spousal type relationship with the member for a minimum period of 12 months prior to the date of death of the spouse/partner.
Spouse/partner cover ceases when the member retires. If a member wants to replace the cover with an individual policy s/he should contact Cornmarket on 01-2000100.
€7,500 will be paid to the member in the event of the death of a child aged 0 to 21.
If a members child is disabled from birth, cover is maintained for life. Disablement is defined as having a physical or mental condition that limits movement, senses or activities, resulting in being unable to live independently and requiring permanent full time care.
Personal Accident Cover
€15,000 will be paid to a member if due to accident or trauma the member suffers from the irreversible severance of an arm or leg from above the wrist or ankle respectively or the total and irreversible loss of the use of two or more limbs by reason of paralysis or the surgical removal of a complete eyeball.
GRA members who complete an application form during their training period ( 64 weeks ) are covered free of charge for €30,000 for the first 32 weeks increasing to €60,000 for the second 32 weeks. Premiums commence to be deducted from pay in their 65th week.
Unpaid Parental,Maternity, Carer’s or Adoptive Leave:
Cover under the Scheme will continue, however no premiums will be collected during this time. This is subject to the period of unpaid leave being no longer than 18 weeks in total in any 12 month period.
Members who take a career break may continue to be covered under the Scheme for up to a maximum of 5 years , as long as they maintain their premium by paying in advance on a yearly basis. Members should contact Cornmarket on 01 – 2000100 as soon as they know they are going on career break.
Retired Members – 65 to 70 years
Prior to retirement the member should contact Cornmarket, Liberties House, Christchurch Square, Back Ln, Dublin 8. Tel. 01 408 4000.)
Tax Relief (Effect of AVC element on Premium)
Part of the total premium qualifies for tax relief which is given at source by Garda pay. No need for member to claim. That part of the premium that gets tax relief is subject to Revenue approval and can be reviewed at any time and may go up or down.
Retired members who attain age 65 on or after 1st January 2019 may continue cover as shown above, if they continue to pay their current premium €31.85 per month ( €7.35 pw ). Retired members are not entitled to tax relief.
|Premium eligible for tax relief||€5.15|
|Assumes 40% Tax Relief||€2.20|
Pay Codes: GRA Crit Ill 6152
The Scheme covers serving and retired members of the force of all ranks. You can only join the Scheme if you are a GRA member and are joining during your training period ( first 64 weeks). If a member leaves the Scheme s/he will not be able to rejoin the Scheme. Members must be a member of the Association equivalent to their rank to be able to claim under the Scheme. The contract was renewed with Friends First from 1st October 2017 for a 3 year period, with a mid term review
The Scheme pays a tax free lump sum to a member, spouse/partner ( if covered ) and children who suffer from one of 40 specified illnesses and a lesser amount for 10 less serious illnesses. To safeguard the Scheme pre existing conditions ie. a condition suffered prior to joining the Scheme is not covered. A comprehensive list of illnesses covered together with an explanation of each illness and its pre existing conditions is shown in the Schemes Explanatory Booklet which can be accessed on Cornmarkets Webiste
|Trainee Garda||€42,500||€10,000||Free During Training|
|Trainee Spouse / Partner||€42,500||€10,000||Free During Training|
|Serving Member||€85,000||€15,000||€5.80 pw|
|Spouse / Partner||€85,000||€15,000||€4.74 pw|
|Retired Member||€42,500||€10,000||€25.13 pm|
|Retired Spouse / Partner||€42,500||€10,000||€20.54 pm|
Other Important Terms & Conditions : ( All forms and Explanatory Booklet can be accessed on cornmarket.ie/gra)
- All members should nominate their spouse/partner by completing a nominated partners form.
- Members on getting married can only include their spouse within 12 months of getting married or if in a spousal type relationship within 12 months of completing 12 months in a spousal type relationship.
- You must survive for a minimum period after the date on which illness is diagnosed or surgery took place. See booklet.
- You can only claim once per life under the Scheme. Payment of a partial claim does not disallow a member to make a full claim subsequently and the partial claim payment will not affect the amount paid for a full claim.
- Member married/partnered with another member , in the event of claim only one claim will be paid.
- Children of Scheme members aged 1 to 18 or 25 if in fulltime education are covered.
- You can maintain cover after retiring up to age 65. You must contact Cornmarket 01-2000100 within 3 months of retiring.
- If planning to take a career break or unpaid leave a member should contact Cornmarket 01-2000100 to discuss options.
- To make a claim a member should contact Cornmarket on 01 2000100 or email them
Illness & Injury Scheme
The Association provides an arrangement whereby €75.00 per week, or pro rata for odd days, is paid after an initial excess period of five weeks.
Benefit is payable for up to 13 weeks in respect of any one specific illness over a two year period (to the end of the 18th week from the commencement of the absence).
Absences arising from an injury on duty or where there is a third party involved are not covered under the scheme.
Salary Protection Plan
Pay Codes: 6165
The enhanced Salary Protection Plan which was introduced on the 1st July 2015 is a properly structured plan dovetailing with all the new Public Service Pay Arrangements. The Plan will provide a member with income in the event of loss of earnings when absent from work due to illness or injury off duty. The Plan provides replacement income of 75% of total pensionable salary. The benefit may be paid for up to 30 years. The total cost of the plan qualifies for tax relief.
In the event of a member absent from duty due to illness or injury off duty his/her rostered pay (approx. 22% of basic pay) ceases immediately. Basic pay and rent allowance (if applicable) reduces to less than 50% of normal pay after 13 weeks accrued sick leave and after 26 weeks accrued sick leave reduces to pension rate of pay. This is nil with less than 5 years’ service and approx. 33% of normal pay with 20 years’ service.
When is benefit paid?
Benefit is paid after 13 weeks (non— specified illness) or 26 weeks (specified illness)
What is the benefit?
75% of *Salary less any other income for example State Illness Benefit, Temporary Rehabilitation Remuneration etc.
For how long is the benefit paid
For as long as you are on sick leave or early retired, ceasing when you reach the time when you would have normally retired had you continued on working which may be up to 30 years.
Does the benefit increase during payment?
Yes — benefit increases during payment by 3% per annum or increase in consumer price index whichever is less.
What is the cost?
1.29% of *Salary which qualifies for tax relief given as “top line” deduction by Garda Pay hence net cost is 0.77% (based on 40% tax)..
* Basic + Roster + Rent + any other pensionable allowances.
Explanatory leaflet and application form from Cornmarket Tel. 01 2000 100.
The success of the Plans depends on your support. The premium of 1.29% has a greater likelihood of reducing as more members join this Plan.
Contact Cornmarket for further information
Cornmarket Liberties House,
Christchurch Square, Back Ln,
Tel. 01 2000 100.
The Legal Assistance Scheme has been reviewed by the Association and a booklet detailing the revised terms of the Scheme has issued to each member.
A member shall first consult with his/her Central Executive Committee representative who will advise him/her of the procedure when making an application for legal assistance. The Central Executive Committee member shall be provided with all of the information and correspondence in relation to the claim. The Central Executive Committee member will in turn make a submission to the Association through the Legal Assistance Sub Committee in accordance with the procedure outlined at Section 7 of the booklet
The Central Executive Committee is the final arbiter on all matters relating to the Legal Assistance Scheme.
Details of the Association’s Panel of Solicitors:
|Liz Hughes||Hughes Murphy Solicitors||13 Wellington Quay, Dublin 2||01 679 8566|
|Martin Moran||Martin Moran & Co Solicitors||12 Stephens Lane, Upr. Mount St, Dublin.2||01 664 0560|
|Tony O’Beirne||Tony O’Beirne & Co. Solicitors||31 Morehampton Road, Dublin 4||01 668 4333|
|Barry Healy & Co||Solicitors||Laurel Lodge, Hillside, Monaghan||01 836 3551|
|Patrick Cadell||Butler, Cunningham & Moloney Solicitors,||Liberty Square, Thurles, Co. Tipperary||0504 218 57|
|Jim Brooks||Collins, Brooks & Associates||6/7 Rossa Street, Clonakilty, Co. Cork||023 883 3332|
|Gerry McGovern||Solicitors||Pearse Plaza, Pearse Road, Co. Sligo||071 9144 363|
|Declan Breen||Solicitors||Tower Hill, Portlaoise, Co. Laois||057 866 0006|
|Thomas J Walsh||Solicitors||1 Mill Lane, Main St., Castlebar, Co. Mayo||094 902 1736|
|Dan Murphy||Carey, Murphy & Partners Solicitors||23 Marlboro Street, Cork City, Co. Cork||021 425 1699|
|Daniel O’Gorman||Solicitors||75A O’Connell St, Limerick City, Co. Limerick||061 418 214|
|Gearoid Geraghty & Co||Solicitors||Ballinasloe, Co. Galway||090 965 0000|
|Daly Derham Donnelly||Solicitors||1A Washington West 3&4 Hannover Place, Cork City||021 427 3269|
|Ernest Cantillion||Solicitors||39 South Mall Centre, Cork City||021 427 5673|
|Edmund J Burke & Co||Solicitors||34 South Mall Centre, Cork Ciry||021 427 8746|
|Jim Grogan & Co||Solicitors||27 Cooke Street Centre Cork||021 427 0840|
GRA Travel Insurance
The GRA has arranged an Annual Multi-Trip Travel Insurance Scheme which is underwritten by Blue Insurance. The Annual premium is €89.00 per annum. This premium covers you, your spouse/partner and children under the age of 18 (or under 23 if full time education) for a full 12 month period.
GRA members who wish to avail of the GRA travel plan Scheme can simply book online below or alternatively for immediate cover call Blue Insurances.
Contact details for Blue Insurance
Phone: 0818 286 451
Home & Car Insurance
With Home Insurance through Cornmarket, you can rest assured that you are getting a great level of cover, at a very competitive price. And right now, you can also get 2 months free cover*, when you switch your home insurance to Cornmarket, and your policy starts between 1st May 2019 and the 30th June 2019 – subject to a minimum premium of €335.52.
As well as a great price, you can also get great benefits such as:
- 24-hour, 365 days-a-year, nationwide emergency HomeRescue service**
- Cover for personal money and credit cards stolen from the home
- New for Old Protection
- Fire brigade charges benefit up to €2,000
- Cover for the Theft, Loss or Escape of Oil
- Optional Extra: Accidental Damage Cover for buildings and contents
- Optional Extra: Unspecified All Risks Cover insures items such as Smartphones, iPads and Tablets, if lost or stolen outside the home (with no excess)
The list above provides a summary of the main home insurance benefits and features provided by Allianz. For full details of the terms and conditions of this policy please consult the policy document. A copy of this is available on request by phoning us on (01) 408 4004 or alternatively by clicking here.
*Discount applies in year one only and is inclusive of Government levy. Only one discount can be used with each eligible proposal. Two months free insurance in year 1 is based on a 16.7% discount off the normal year 1 Allianz premium, and is only available to new customers taking out a new home insurance policy through Cornmarket & underwritten by Allianz. Underwriter criteria, terms and conditions apply. Any applicable discounts are applied at quotation stage. We are unable to issue discounts retrospectively. Allianz plc is regulated by the Central Bank of Ireland. **HomeRescue service is provided by Mapfre Assistance. MAPFRE ASSISTANCE Agency Ireland is authorised by the Direccion General de Seguros y Fondos de Pensiones del Ministerio de Economia y Hacienda in Spain, and is regulated by the Central Bank of Ireland for conduct of business rules. Reg No. 903874. Cornmarket Group Financial Services Ltd. is regulated by the Central Bank of Ireland. A member of the Irish Life Group Ltd. which is part of the Great-West Lifeco Group of companies. Telephone calls may be recorded for quality control and training purposes.
As a GRA member, both you and your partner can insure your car(s) through Cornmarket under our Public Sector Car Insurance Scheme. Through us, you can avail of excellent car insurance benefits such as:
- Comprehensive Driving of other car’s
- Full No Claims Bonus Protection– 1 unlimited claim in a 3 year period
- Step-Back No Claims Bonus Protection
- 24-hour Breakdown Rescue, Driveway Assistance & Windscreen cover
- Low excess of only €250 (when you are over 25 years of age and hold a Full Irish Licence)
- In addition we can also offer safer drivers a discount of up to 52%* if you have been claims free for the past 9 years, subject to a minimum premium of €399.41.
- You can also get a €50** discount when your policy starts between 1st April 2019 and 19th May 2019, subject to a minimum premium of €399.41
Get a quote today online here or over the phone, call (01) 420 6711
*Breakdown Rescue Cover is provided by Mapfre Assistance. MAPFRE ASSISTANCE Agency Ireland is authorised by the Direccion General de Seguros y Fondos de Pensiones del Ministerio de Economia y Hacienda in Spain, and is regulated by the Central Bank of Ireland for conduct of business rules. Reg No. 903874. **Eligibility criteria, terms and conditions apply. Discounts are subject to a minimum premium of €399.41, inclusive of Government levy. Cornmarket car insurance scheme is devised and administrated by Cornmarket Group Financial Services Ltd. Underwritten by Allianz plc. Allianz plc is regulated by the Central Bank of Ireland. For full terms and conditions please refer to policy guide/insurance certificate. Cornmarket Group Financial Services Ltd. is regulated by the Central Bank of Ireland. A member of the Irish Life Group Ltd. which is part of the Great-West Lifeco Group of companies. Telephone calls may be recorded for quality control and training purposes.
Additional Voluntary Contributions (AVC) Plan
AVCs allow members to enhance their retirement benefits in a very tax efficient way. All members can now make AVCs regardless of service. Senior members who are potentially within 3 years of retirement should also enquire of Cornmarket in regard to making a Last Minute AVC based on their un-pensioned overtime and non — rostered night duty allowances.
For guidance on what is required you should contact Cornmarket, Tel, 01 408 4000, to arrange a consultation or a Station visit.
Members seeking a last minute AVC quotation should, in the first instance, contact Garda Pay Section, Killarney. Tel: 076 100 2702 and request a “certificate of earnings for AVC purposes.”
St.Paul's Garda Medical Aid Society
St. Paul’s Garda Medical Aid Society,
Blanchardstown Corporate Park 2,
01 – 8991604
Click Here to Email
Please visit the Society’s website at medicalaid.iewhere you will find detailed information on the current benefits and subscriptions rates. You may print off all forms in use by the Society, study the Society’s Rules and history and keep a copy for your records. There is a Notice Board section which contains all recent circulars which will keep you up to date with any changes on any aspects of the Society.
There is a Claims Record section which allows you to view your personal details, individuals on cover etc. and also to view all your claims/payments for the past five years. You can examine each claim in detail and print off a report showing your claims for each of the five years. This report will show you the amount you have claimed, the amount the Society paid and the difference between the two figures. Most of this difference is claimable against your Income Tax on Forms Med 1 and Med 2 which are also available on the website under the Forms heading.
For other routine queries, please fax or email as per details outlined above. Phone calls to the office to be confined to very urgent issues to allow the staff to process claims as promptly as possible. The Society thanks you for your cooperation with this request.
Obtaining a mortgage nowadays is proving to be very difficult. The lending institutions are extremely selective.
To find out if you qualify you should contact our Broker Cornmarket 01-4084000 who will advise you. If you do not qualify they will advise you on what you need to do to qualify.
The GRA scheme offers reduced legal fees. Cornmarket will advise.
Contact Cornmarket for further information
Cornmarket Liberties House,
Christchurch Square, Back Ln,
Tel. 01 2000 100.
Garda Benevolent Trust Fund
Garda Benevolent Trust Fund,
01 – 8307155
Click Here to Email
The following benefits are payable by the Trust Fund:
- On death of a member € 3,000
- On death of a spouse € 3,000
- On death of a widow € 3,000
- On death of a child to max of € 3,000
- Orphans allowance € 3,000
The Company derives its main income from:
- Subscriptions from members of the Force
- Donations from members of the public.
- Functions run throughout the country by members.
- Court Orders
Educational Loan Scheme
The Company operates an Educational Loan Scheme which provides financial assistance for children of members of the Trust Fund who are in third level education. The maximum loan per student is €4,000 per academic year. The Fund also operates a Holiday Home Scheme for members of the Trust Fund who have children with special needs.
Membership of the Company is €1.27 per week. On retiring from the Force, membership may be continued on payment of a subscription of €300.00. This will discharge in full members' obligations to the Trust Fund.
Garda Retirement Home
The Company provides 3 Retirement Home at Raheny House, 476 Howth Rd., Raheny, Dublin 5.Te|. 01 831 1199. The Home is registered as required by the Health (Nursing Home) Act, 1990. This means that relief of income tax will be available in respect of payments for maintenance in the Home.
For info / to download Application Forms go to gardabenevolent.ie